Saturday, August 25, 2012

Hungary for Birds -Day 7: Homeward Bound

Our amazing week photographing the birds of Hungary had finally come to an end. I always like to squeeze in as much camera time as possible on these overseas trips and given that we had a late afternoon flight there was a couple of hours spare. So we returned to the bee-eater hide once more for a short-session before the 3 hour drive across to the airport in Budapest. Activity with the bee-eaters was considerably reduced on our previous visit and we assumed that some of the birds were probably sitting on eggs. Anyway we took a few more photographs to add to the collection and what a wonderful way to end our trip in Hungary. It is impossible not to have these birds in front of you and not marvel at the sublime beauty of nature.
A butterfly for breakfast

The rear view of a Bee-eater really does show its rainbow plumage of to the full.
So we packed the cameras away for the last time that week and left Hungary behind for our long journey home. What a memorable week with around 30 bird species photographed including many new ones and also some of the most colourful that Europe has to offer. This will not be my last trip to Hungary but I will leave the return trip for a couple of years and am already putting my thoughts to next year which should be an exciting adventure that sees me returning to eastern Europe.

I would like to thank Gerhard for his excellent company and sense of humour during a week when we had some uncomfortable sauna like conditions in some of the hides. I  would also like to send a big thanks to Sakertours and their team for organising such a brilliant week amongst the beautiful and diverse bird life of eastern Hungary. Thanks also go to Easyjet for their wildlife photographer friendly hand baggage policy :). Finally I would like to thank my better half Dawn for putting up with me frequently disappearing with my camera and also the support from you, my blog readers. I hope you enjoyed this visit to Hungary.

As most of the recent posts have been dedicated to birds, I though I would dedicate the three next posts to UK mammals so expect some badgers, hares and stoats to appear here very soon.

1 comment:

Brian Rafferty said...

Richard. I haven't commented before on your blog but I felt it was time I did. Enjoy very much your accounts and your images are always of the very highest quality.I have particularly enjoyed your accounts of your trip to Hungary and the outstanding images of some of Europe's most colourful birds. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails