Saturday, April 19, 2008

First Light Birding

It was a struggle to drag myself out of bed this morning for an early start, especially as the light outside was not looking too good. I headed up to a local small reedbed on the coast at Red Rocks which is quite a good spot for migrants passing through. I spent a short while there without much success. So decided to explore a new area further down the Dee estuary. Shortly after arriving I received a text alert on my mobile that a Black Redstart had been spotted from where I had just left and so headed back.

I couldn't find the Black Redstart but did find a Chiffchaff which is either chiffing or chaffing in this photo.
While photographing the chiffchaff which was taking a regular route around a number of bushes, I noticed a wren kept popping up onto a nearby post and bursting into song. This is a species of which, for some reason despite them being very common, I do not seem to have many photographs. So I settled by the post and waited for the bird to appear which it eventually did and ran off a lot of shots of which these are a very small selection.and a close up of the head to finish this post.I did spot the Black Redstart on the way back to the car but there was no opportunity to get in close enough for a photograph. It was good to see one all the same, as the last I saw was in Austria a couple of years ago.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perfect closeup of the wren and beautiful shots in general.
(Liked the pheasants very much, too!)
Cheers, Klaus

Stacey Olson said...

Great shots, esp the wren they are so little and cute. Thanks for getting up so early to share your beautiful birds.

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Oh, isn't it wonderful?! Beautiful photos. Klaus is right. PERFECT!

Anonymous said...

Superb photos! You capture the personality of each bird so beautifully.

Rich Steel said...

Thanks for the replies. I was pleased to finally get in close on a singing wren as they have always eluded me for some reason.

Cheers

Rich

Martijn said...

Great pics, love the Wren, such a cute bird.

Regards,

Martijn
Alkmaar Holland

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails