Thursday, December 27, 2007

Winter Woodlands

Winter deciduous woodlands are wonderful places to photograph. The leaves off the trees create improved lighting conditions and the ground cover of autumn leaves can create some great colours in the shots. Here are a selection of recent shots taken from a local woodland where the birds are relatively accustomed to visitors.

I was concentraing on three main target species which were Jay, Stock Dove and Nuthatch. However, before getting to some shots of them, there were plenty of magpies to also distract the attention. This shot shows some of the warm background colours that can be created by the leaf fall.
During the quiet periods there were usually plenty of Grey Squirrels, and Wood Pigeon nearby to keep the shutter finger exercised.
Nuthatch keep you on your toes as they tend to dash in grab a piece of food and fly off to bury it under some bark, before returning. I need to do a bit more work on the Stock Doves
I had three very obliging Jays, in the area of woodland I chose, and so I end up with a good variety of shots. I will post a couple of shots of them for now and dedicate my next post to some more photos of these beautiful birds.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, the colours are great at the moment - and decreasing the depth of field gives a great background. I tried to film a goldcrest today, but the little blighter just wouldn't keep still for long enough! I especially love your photos of the nuthatch and jay. Two of my favourite birds. I'm looking forward to the post just on jays. They look so tropical... like they don't belong in wet, windy, cold England!

Rich Steel said...

Thanks for you comment Jane. Goldcrest are tricky customers to photograph as they never stay still. I managed to get a couple of shots of one the other day but it was very hard work to kepp up with it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails